21.9.16

Staffordshire animals in needlefelt


I mentioned some time ago that I was changing my direction with my work, and doing something somewhat different to the toys that I have been making for around eight years. Typically I chose a challenge. It kind of began with this Staffordshire cat, which I sold a couple of years ago. I meant to make some more but never did. 
 
 

Anyway, I started in earnest earlier this spring and made a copy of another traditional Staffordshire design, this time a rabbit.



A greyhound was next. I work from one photo, to get the first angle and work out how the rest of it should look.


Which isn't always easy.


Each design has it's own quirks and foibles, and with Staffordshire, they are very 'folksy' and quirky. Trying to replicate a design which isn't my own (and which, by the way, I believe is out of its copyright period)  has been something I've found really interesting, although the hours put in on each one are a bit excessive.


The poodle almost finished me off. The shape wasn't too hard to replicate, but this poodle design in it's various forms has stippled, 'salt glaze' on parts of the body, which I tried to emulate by sewing on a silly amount of tiny beads. Eighteen hours of sewing on beads. Yes, I did time myself.


Despite the amount of time they take - 35/40 hours each -  I've had fantastic feedback on my Facebook page and Instagram account, and it is nice to take a break from toys.
Although both cats are sold, the dogs and rabbit are now listed on my new site, in the Staffordshire Animals section. Making things in wool which were originally made in clay.





7 comments:

jfidz said...

Wonderful pieces Gretel.

Karren said...

Love the spots of color that are blended so artfully on the bodies. Really neat work.

Lynda (Granny K) said...

They are super, I love them! Your work is so special.

Lin said...

I like how you keep changing...mixing it up....

Celia Hart said...

These are exquisite! I love those Staffordshire figures and you've captured their charm perfectly xx

I'm now off to find you on IG

Deb said...

Wow, these are quite stunning! I hope you won't give up on your toys though :)

Granny Sue said...

I so meant to take photos of your work when we visited but got too busy talking! We enjoyed the visit very much. Your work is simply amazing.